Steve Wilt is an institutional retirement plan advisor based in Akron, OH.
Steve joined CAPTRUST in 2009, opening the CAPTRUST Akron office. As an institutional advisor, Steve provides investment advisory services to fiduciaries of corporate retirement plans and his passion for helping hard working Americans achieve retirement success has led to extensive industry recognition. Recognized as an industry expert, he is a national speaker on retirement issues. PLANSPONSOR Magazine recognized Steve and his team with the inaugural “Retirement Plan Advisor Team of the Year” award in 2007. Additionally, the CAPTRUST Akron Team has been recognized in Barron’s over the last five years as one of the top 50 institutional advisor teams in the country. Steve was an inductee into the Plan Advisor Hall of Fame in 2011 and was also recognized in 2008 by 401k Wire as one of the “Top 100 Most Influential People in 401(k)”. He is co-author of the book, The 401k Sales Champion which was one of the first guides for advisors on how to sell and service corporate retirement plans. During his time at CAPTRUST, Steve has received the two highest advisor honors: “Rainmaker” in 2010 and “The Financial Advisor of the Year” in 2011 and 2016.
Steve’s other passion is working with nonprofits, helping them to deliver on their mission and to fundraise. He serves as a board member for the Greater Akron Chamber and the United Way of Summit and Medina Counties. He is the Chair of the United Way Tocqueville Society and is on the Executive Committee. Steve holds various leadership roles for St. Sebastian’s Foundation, The University of Akron College of Business Alumni Board, Julie Billiart Schools, Goodwill Industries of Akron, and is an active supporter of Love Akron.
As an advocate for diversity, Steve serves on the United Way Strategic Planning and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee and acts as an Ambassador for the CAPTRUST BPNetwork (BIPOC- Black, Indigenous and People of Color) Employee Resource Group.
Previously, Steve served 16 years on the Summa Foundation Board in multiple leadership roles. He chaired the Summa Foundation Golf Outing for five consecutive years. Steve and his wife Holly have been the chair couple for the Summa Sapphire Ball, the Stan Hywet Gala, the St. Sebastian September Spectacular, Archbishop Hoban’s Extravaganza, the Love Akron Breakfast, and the Firestone Ambassador of Golf live auction. Steve is a graduate of Leadership Akron, past president of The Akron City Club Board, and prior board member of Portage Country Club. He is a graduate of The University of Akron where he attained his BSBA in International Marketing and was awarded the “2012 Simonetti Distinguished Alumni Award”. Steve earned his Certified Investment Management Analyst (CIMA) designation through the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Steve and his wife Holly live in West Akron and have two children, Charlotte and Charlie.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree with a concentration in international marketing from The University of Akron
- Certified Investment Management Analyst®
- Board member The United Way of Summit and Medina County
- Executive Board, Tocqueville Chair, Diversity Equity, and Inclusion Committee Member
- The University of Akron College of Business Alumni Vice Chair
- Board Member, St. Sebastian’s Foundation Board
- Emeritus Board Member, The Julie Billiart School at St. Sebastian’s
- Honoree Board Member, The Goodwill Industries of Akron
- Board Member, The Greater Akron Chamber of Commerce
- CAPTRUST BP Network, Black and Indigenous People of Color, ERG Member
- Event Chair, Summa Sapphire Ball
- Event Chair, Summa Foundation Golf Outing
- Event Chair, The Stan Hywet Gala
- Event Chair, The Archbishop Hoban Extravaganza
- Event Chair, The St. Sebastian’s Spectacular
- Event Chair, The Love Akron Breakfast
Awards & Recognition
- Barron’s Top Institutional Consultants | Annually since 2018, CAPTRUST Akron, Team Wilt
- NAPA Top DC Advisor Teams | Annually (CAPTRUST Akron)
- 401k Wire Top 100 Most Influential People in 401(k) | 2008
- ASPPA 401(k) Leadership Award Finalist | 2009
- CAPTRUST Advisor of the Year | 2011 and 2016
- CAPTRUST Rainmaker | 2010
- Financial Times 401 Top Retirement Plan Advisor | 2017, 2019 and 2020
- PLANSPONSOR Magazine Retirement Plan Adviser Team of the Year | 2007
- The University of Akron, Dr. Frank L. Simonetti Distinguished Business Alumni Award | 2012
- Plan Advisor Hall of Fame Inductee | 2011
- Love Akron Changemaker Awardee l 2023