Susan Shoemaker is an institutional retirement plan advisor based in Southfield, MI.
Susan joined CAPTRUST in 2020 from Plante Moran—one of the nation’s largest certified public accounting, tax, consulting, and wealth management firms—where she served as partner and retirement plan investment specialist. Susan advised plan sponsors and offered retirement plan strategies designed to help plan participants achieve success in retirement.
As a principal and financial advisor at CAPTRUST, Susan draws upon her years of experience to assist organizations of all sizes to meet their fiduciary responsibilities related to providing an effective and meaningful benefit to participants. She recognizes that every organization has unique needs and every retirement plan should be designed with these goals in mind.
Around the office and within the community, Susan is known for thriving on challenge and her technical expertise. In addition to growing the firm’s retirement plan practice, she helped found the Detroit chapter of the American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries (ASPPA) Benefits Council (ABC) and is also a member of the National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA).
Susan remains physically and mentally active. When she is not in the office, Susan can be found golfing, biking, or exercising. She also enjoys traveling, reading, and spending time with her husband and their two grown sons.
- Bachelor of Arts degree from Wayne State University
- Masters Business Administration degree from Wayne State University
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- Speaker, NAPA
- Speaker, Michigan Association of CPAs
- The National Association of Plan Advisors (NAPA)
- ASPPA Benefits Council (ABC) of Detroit
- Co-Chair of the Michigan Chapter of Women in Pension Network
Awards & Recognition
- Barron’s Top Institutional Consultants | 2022, 2023 (Team South Michigan)
- NAPA Top Women Advisor, Captains | 2023
- NAPA Top Women Advisor | 2018, 2019, and 2020
- NAPA Top DC Advisor Teams | 2020, 2021, and 2022 (CAPTRUST South Michigan)